Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Rights? or Wrongs? see Peacemakers!

Can Rights Be Wrong?

Here again the concept of stewardship serves as a helpful guiding principle [in thinking about your rights]. Rights are not something you deserve and possess for your own benefit. Rather, they are privileges given to you by God, and he wants you to use them for his glory and to benefit others, especially by helping them know Christ. As a steward, it is also appropriate to consider your needs and personal responsibilities (Phil. 2:3-4). Thus, whenever there is a question about your rights, you should ask yourself questions like these:

  1. "Will exercising my rights honor God by showing the power of the gospel in my life?"
  2. "Will exercising my rights advance God's kingdom--or will it advance only my interests at the expense of his kingdom?"
  3. "Will exercising my rights benefit others?"
  4. "Is exercising my rights essential for my own well-being?"

Taken from The Peacemaker: A Biblical Guide to Resolving Personal Conflict
by Ken Sande, Updated Edition (Grand Rapids, Baker Books, 2003) p. 94

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home